Colors: Red & White
History: Named after Jane Herbert Wilkinson Long (1798-1880), the "Mother of Texas"
Jane Long Middle school was named after the "Mother of Texas," Jane Wilkinson Long. She was born on July 23, 1798 in Maryland. Orphaned at age 14, she moved to Natchez to live with her sister. It was there that she met Dr. James Long, who later became her husband.
In 1820 Jane joined her husband at Fort Las Casas on Bolivar Peninsula. Shortly after, Dr. James Long left to organize an expedition to free Texas from Spanish rule. When Dr. Long did not return as promised, Mrs. Long chose to remain behind and wait for him. While soldiers left and supplies dwindled, Jane stubbornly chose to remain. Alone except for a 12 - year old slave, she gave birth and survived the harsh winter by scavenging the area for food. To prevent attack by Indians, she gave the illusion of an occupied fort by firing the cannon each day.
After learning of Dr. Long's death, she was persuaded to leave. Eventually she opened a successful hotel in Brazoria. She is known to have associated with many of the political notables of Texas, including Ben Milam, William B. Travis, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, and Mirabeau Lamar.
Long died in Richmond, Texas on December 30, 1880 at the age of 82.